Friday, March 28, 2008

Pink Bubbles


Iris 'Pink Bubbles'
Originally uploaded by Tie Guy II
Everywhere I've lived, iris have bloomed in overgrown clumps, until that last two yards, that is--new houses with minimal landscaping. Even then, someone I knew would thin her iris patch and pass on the hardy roots. In Yakima iris grew alongside the chicken coop, a spray of fragrant clumps blooming against aged wood. In Spokane, I thinned rows of iris growing next to the rich soil of the eons old vegetable patch. I divided, my plan to plant them alongside the house. Being a lazy gardener, the clump took root right where I left them next to the grape arbor. Every iris patch I've ever tended has consisted of vintage colors, mostly brown and yellow and purple blooms. Perhaps some whites. Just the standards. It wasn't until later, when hybrids became popular, that I really grew to love the iris.

No comments: